An oil & gas company faced a huge data problem impacting business operations: inconsistent data in common well attributes across multiple operational systems. The systems included well planning (Epex), production accounting (Enertia), geosciences ,(ArcGIS), drilling (Openwells), and reservoir (ARIES).
To solve this challenge, the company had previously selected a Master Data Management (MDM) tool from a well-known energy sector software vendor. However, once up and running, the company soon realized that the software complicated and actually worked cross-purpose to its business processes instead of streamlining data.
Post-implementation, the operator began to experience issues that did not align with their expectations.
- Labor-Intensive Data Maintenance – While the vendor’s tool had a data maintenance capability, making simple updates to the master record, such as changing well status or adding new attributes, was an overly complex undertaking, requiring users to change and manipulate the data within the applications outside of the software tool.
- No “Per Well” Summary Data – The tool’s view of well data was restricted to a granular view. A large segment of the user community, however, needed a summary view of well data per well, which was not possible.
- Poor User Experience – The user interface was not user-friendly, and the process of searching for and finding well information was too involved. This led to lower-than-acceptable user adoption rates.
Less than a year after their original MDM implementation, the oil & gas operator decided to cut its losses and find a solution that aligned with its original vision: an easy-to-use, “super-intuitive” tool with the flexibility to adapt to its culture, workflows, and user needs. The company spent nearly a year evaluating and comparing data management tools and selected EnerHubTM, powered by Aunsight Golden Record.
Stonebridge provides business advisory and technology services for the energy industry, and specializes in implementing data management solutions.. Partnering with Aunalytics’ innovative data integration and data accuracy technology, Stonebridge has bolstered its EnerHub offering with Aunalytics’ cloud-native platform.
“Aunalytics technology exposes and remediates issues caused by siloed and inconsistent data that otherwise would cost an energy company millions of dollars annually in lost productivity and missed opportunities. Typically, EnerHub customers reduce implementation time and cost by 60%, compared to other energy industry data products. With Aunalytics technology, Stonebridge quickly and easily builds and manages specialized well production data models and EnerHub customers find the technology easy to use,” said William Cummings,Vice President of EnerHub at Stonebridge Consulting.
While replacing its data management solution was not an easy decision, this operator has found that with EnerHub, they now have the data management solution they originally envisioned.
- Simplified Data Maintenance – Using the portal interface, the operator’s data stewards can easily make master data attribute changes to their golden record. Its auto-sync capability detects attribute changes in a designated publishing system (e.g., a well’s API number in Enertia) and automatically updates subscribing systems.
- Enhances Business Processes – Because EnerHub is designed as a fit-for-purpose data management solution, it had the flexibility to adapt to the client’s processes and corporate culture.
- Golden Record – Aunsight’s Golden Record as a Service enables users to access golden records of accurate and trusted information refreshed in real-time.
- Superior User Experience – EnerHub’s Energy Portal provides users with a user-friendly interface. This enables them to find well data intuitively and get a big picture view of a well record with a one-click ability to do a deep-dive into a granular data view.
- No Code Interface – The platform’s intuitive and easily configurable interface allows users to build and edit golden records without needing technical knowledge of database structure and without writing code.
To learn how EnerHub can be your trusted MDM solution, contact us.
Interested in a similar solution for your organization? Click here to start a dialogue with Stonebridge.